A pinch of Hing! All it takes to pep up any Indian curry. However, Hing or Asafoetida, as it is globally known, is one of Dadima’s popular digestive nuskhe!
Ayurveda offers several natural therapies for managing our digestive health. Hingwashtak churna is one of them. It combines Hing with other herbal ingredients to help manage stomach aches and acidity, besides helping relieve that bloated feeling we get from binge eating.
This blog explores Baidyanath’s Hingwashtak Churna – composition, benefits, usage, and dosage – focusing on ‘Hing, Asafoetida, or Devil’s Dung’ – the primary ingredient.
Hingwashtak Churna: Ingredients & Preparation
Ayurvedic Churna formulations are finely powdered dried herbs. Based on the composition, you have both single and polyherbal churna.
Hingwashtak Churna is a polyherbal formulation found in ancient Ayurvedic texts, such as the Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Agnimandya Dirogadhikara, and Rasatantra Sar (part 1).
Baidyanath’s Hingwashtak Churna is a 100% authentic product, staying true to the traditional formula and preparation method outlined in the books mentioned above.
We have listed the ingredients – their proportions and benefits – below. Please note that the herbs are multi-beneficial. We’ve focused only on the digestion-enhancing activities vis-a-vis the Hingwashtak Churna context.
1) Hing / Asafoetida (Ferula assa-foetida) – dried gum resin – 1 part
- Hing is the dried latex secreted from the root (or rhizome) of certain species of the Ferula plant.Ferula is a group of herbaceous perennials native to Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the Himalayan regions of India. Botanists have identified around 220 Ferula plant species. However, only three of these 220 species are commercially grown, namely Ferula foetida, Ferula assa-foetida, and Ferula narthex.We will delve into Hing’s bioactive compounds and their properties in the next section.
2) Marich / Black pepper (Piper nigrum) – dried fruit– 1 part
- The principal active constituent of black pepper is Piperine, a phytochemical known to stimulate the release of pancreatic digestive enzymes that help improve digestion. Black pepper is a potent carminative (expels gas from the digestive tract), antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory.Besides, Piperine helps improve the bioavailability of the other phytochemicals in the formula. Because of Piperine, the phytochemicals are absorbed into the blood and reach the cells where they are needed.
3) Pippali / Long pepper (Piper longum) – dried fruit – 1 part
- Long pepper, like black pepper, contains a high concentration of alkaloid Piperine. It exponentially enhances the digestive, carminative, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and bioavailability action of Hingwashtak Churna.
4) Sunthi / Dry Ginger powder (Zingiber officinale) – dried powder – 1 part
- Ginger contains a high concentration of phenolic (gingerols, shogaols, and paradols, etc.) and terpene (β-bisabolene, α-curcumene, zingiberene, α-farnesene, etc.) compounds.These phytochemicals make Ginger a potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial. The inclusion of Ginger helps protect our digestive system from frequent infections. The antioxidative constituents protect the cells and tissues from the damages caused by free radicals.
5) Ajmod / Wild Celery (Apium graveolens) – dried seeds – 1 part
- The aromatic seeds of the Wild Celery contain potent antioxidants, such as caffeic acid, p-coumaric acid, ferulic acid, etc. In addition, Celery is a rich source of essential minerals (copper, calcium, potassium, magnesium, etc.), vitamins (B6, A, K, and C)Celery is a potent vermifuge. It helps kill parasitic worms in the digestive tract resulting in improved appetite. It also exhibits carminative and antioxidant capabilities, thereby reducing flatulence and the damaging effects of free radicals.
6) Jeera / Cumin (Cuminum cyminum) – dried seeds – 1 part
- Cumin is high on aromatic volatile oils, such as β-pinene, β-myrcene, ρ-cymene, γ-terpinene, and ρ-mentha-1,4-dien-7-ol.These volatile oils infuse Cumin with antiallergic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, and relaxant properties..
7) Krishna jeera / Black Caraway / Black Cumin (Nigella sativa) – dried seeds – 1 part
- Black Cumin seed oils contain a high concentration of Thymoquinone, a bioactive compound possessing digestive, carminative (expels gas from the digestive tract), anthelmintic (kills parasitic worms in the gut and intestine), anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.
8) Saindhava lavana / Rock Salt – 1 part
- Rock salt (known as Halite) is mined from sedimentary rock found on mountains and deserts. Rock salt is basically sodium chloride (NaCl). It is known to facilitate digestion and promotes absorption of nutrients in our food.
How to prepare Hingwashtak Churna?
To make the churna:
- Take an equal quantity of all eight (8) dried ingredients.
- Separately grind each ingredient into a fine powder.
- Mix well, sieve, and pack into airtight containers.
Hing – Nutrition and Phytochemical Composition
Hing, like most herbal ingredients, has garnered its fair share of scientific interest. The following table lists Asafoetida’s approximate nutritive value:
|Carbohydrates||67.8 of weight|
|Proteins||4% of weight|
|Dietary fats||1.1% of weight|
|Dietary minerals (Iron, Calcium, etc.)||7.0% of weight|
|Dietary fibers||4.1% of weight|
|Calories||297 kcal per 100g|
Now let’s move on to the phytochemical composition
According to a December 2020 – Journal of Applied and Natural Science article, studies confirm that F. asafoetida chiefly contains:
- Resins (Coumarins, sesquiterpene coumarins, and terpenoids) – Antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, antispasmodic, antispasmodic, and antiseptic agents
- Gums (glucose, galactose, 1-arabinose, rhamnose, glucuronic acid, polysaccharides, and glycoproteins) – detoxifying, antioxidizing, and anti-aging agents
- Volatile compounds (Sulfur-containing compounds, essential oils, phenols, and flavonoids) – Antioxidants, antimicrobial, antiseptic, Antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory agents.
Benefits of Baidyanath’s Hingwashtak Churna
The unique combination of herbal and mineral (Rock Salt) infuses Hingwashtak churna with carminative, digestive, astringent, and antacid capabilities. Having said that, the following is a list of the benefits of using Hingwashtak as a digestive:
Supports healthy digestion
Hingwashtak churna is high in dietary fibers that help improve digestion and support regular bowel movements. Regular intake helps control indigestion.
A 30-day, placebo-controlled study was conducted to research the digestive power of Hing. The study group comprised 43 adults with mild to severe conditions of indigestion. Participants administered 250 mg capsules of asafoetida twice daily showed a significant improvement in digestion and reduction of bloating.
Digestion begins in the mouth. Our saliva contains the enzyme amylase. The Saindhava lavana (Rock salt) stimulates salivation, improving digestion and promoting appetite.
Hingwashtak churna, a natural therapy, is ideally suited for managing anorexia – a disorder marked by a prolonged loss of appetite.
Helps stimulate enzyme activity
Studies have shown that asafoetida and black pepper are two potent stimulants that promote the activity of digestive enzymes.
In-vitro, animal-based studies have confirmed asafoetida helps stimulate the activity of pancreatic enzymes (lipase and amylase). Black pepper and long pepper also support the activity of pancreatic enzymes.
Helps reduce flatulence
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and indigestion are common ailments today. IBS and indigestion cause an unpleasant bloating sensation – caused by the accumulation of gas in the stomach. It often causes the passing of wind (flatulence).
Black Pepper and Long Pepper are both potent carminatives that help ease the discomfort caused by excessive gas.
Alleviates stomach aches and discomfort
Pathogens are a threat to our gut health. If left untreated they impact the gut microbiota resulting in various stomach ailments. Most of the ingredients in Hingwashtak churna possess antibacterial and antifungal. Besides, Ajmod (celery) is a natural vermifuge that destroys worms. With regular use, you get protection against microorganisms and pathogens.
A research study confirms the antimicrobial action of the essential oils obtained from the seeds and gum-resin of the Ferula assa-foetida plant. Asafoetida is a natural protection against oral pathogens.
Lessen abdominal pain
The antispasmodic nature of the gum-resin of Asafoetida helps manage acute abdominal pain and cramps.
How to use Hingwashtak Churna?
The recommended dosage is:
- 1 to 2 teaspoonsful (approximately 1 to 4 grams)
- Before meal as a deepaniya (digestive stimulant)
- Mixed with ghee or lukewarm water
- Never exceed recommended dosage
There are no reported side effects of Hingwashtak Churna to date. However, we recommend doctor consultation before use, especially:
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- If you are on medications for health conditions, such as hypertension, heart disease, etc.
Why Baidyanath Hingwashtak Churna?
Brand Baidyanath’s 100-plus years of experience, state-of-the-art manufacturing units, and a team of highly qualified Ayurvedic experts make it one of India’s leading Ayurvedic companies.
Baidyanath offers a range of expertly-blended, scientifically and hygienically curated classical Ayurvedic churna. Baidyanath Hingwashtak Churna is a standardized composition, ensuring consistency across batches. Meticulously prepared in line with traditional Ayurvedic scriptures, it provides the highest level of efficacy.
Buy Baidyanath churna online or from our 1,00,000 plus retail outlets across India, and opt for holistic wellness!